Log Furniture & Log Railing Questions
- How durable is Rocky Top's Log Furniture?
- All of our furniture is made using mortise and tenon construction, which simply means that all of the joints are attached by inserting a 2" tenon into the upright. This is a very trusted and traditional method that has been utilized across the world for centuries. In addition, we use top-of-the-line sliders in all of our drawer assemblies. Consequently, the drawers have a 75 pound test capacity and the result is an extremely smooth drawer pull.
- What is checking?
- "Checking" is a natural process that occurs in all cedar logs as they dry. As the wood releases moisture, small surface cracks can result. This "checking" in no way affects the integrity or durability of the wood, and only serves to add a unique quality to each piece of furniture. It also serves to preserve the wood longer, as moisture retention promotes rotting and decay (a common characteristic of pine). Although most call this process "checking", we call it "character".
- Will my furniture be hard to assemble?
- In many cases, there will be no assembly required with our products. For the ones that do, Rocky Top provides detailed, step-by-step instructions. In addition, all hardware that is needed (i.e. screws, washers, etc.) will also be provided in order to make assembly as easy as possible.
- Do your log beds utilize metal frames?
- Absolutely not! All of our log beds are built entirely of cedar, including the frame. We feel that this not only enhances the appearance of the bed, but also preserves it from the costly wear and tear of a metal frame.
- What are your terms and agreements for purchases of log furniture and/or log railing?
- Rocky Top offers a lifetime manufacturer's warranty on the construction of our furniture. We will replace any part that fails due to faulty materials or workmanship. We do not warrant products that have been modified or repaired in any way by the consumer or anyone other than the manufacturer. Abuse, neglect or improper assembly will also deem the warranty invalid. Due to the fact that all of our furniture and railing is custom made to order, all sales are final. Please be sure to inspect all furniture and railing upon delivery before signing for it. Rocky Top will not be held responsible for any damages that are not noted at the time of delivery.
- Should I finish my cedar log furniture or railing?
- The choice is left up to you. Many of our customers enjoy the natural look of our Northern White Cedar furniture. However, should you decide to finish your furniture we recommend water based products. Outdoor products, if left unfinished, will weather to a smoky grey color (should you decide to finish your outdoor furniture we recommend a finish with a UV protectant). Rocky Top does offer a finish for all indoor furniture, most are already included in the price of the item. The finish is a catalyst, industrial type (with a low sheen) that cannot be bought in stores. Your furniture will go through an intense 4 stage finishing process, and the result will protect your furniture and enhance its natural grains.
Please contact us for a quote on finishing your furniture.
Facts about cedar:
- Cedar is the lightest of any commercial wood in the United States.
- Cedar has natural preservatives that make it resistant to decay, rot, and insects. Thus, it is often used in products that are in direct contact with water and soil.
- Many types of wood will display excessive bowing and warping depending on the environment it is placed in. Cedar adjusts well to all climate conditions, making it a great choice for furniture and railing.